Wednesday, September 5, 2007

THe SMKSH Literature Class - a Narrative

On 17/8, we had a Lit. class. I rushed up to the class, panting for breath and demanded D to follow me downstairs. Unfortunately, my endeavour to obtain more test papers was unsuccessful. (My close friends should undertand what this means.)
So we went up, fatigued with all the running and settled down.
"Today," said Pn. Y., "we'll be discussing the poem The Way Things Are. I know you don't like it, A, but it cannot be helped because that is the way things are. We are far behind and must catch up."
A looked crushed. "I prefer (suggesting another literary assignment)."
"I am sorry, but we have to learn it today, because that is the way things are." She went on saying we had to do this because "that is the way things are."
"Very witty," I thought.
"Who's born in August? I've got your birthday cake. It's made of chocolate biscuits. THere's soy bean milk and your coffee. Help yourselves."
THe four girls - all Leos and all born in August - stepped forward, and the rest of the class sang "Happy birthday."
"Happy birthday to you, you are born in the zoo," intoned the cheeky Cheese. All four of us blew the candles, wished and shared the knife between us. WE cut badly.
Pn. Y. cut the cake into blocks for us. It was covered with chocolate sauce. wE each took a piece, and headed towards the table behind to pour out our drinks. Indeed, the most enjoyable Lit. lessons I've had took place in this classroom. It is a custom for us to drink coffee and Milo during Lit. provided by our amiable teacher.
"TEam up into pairs," said Pn. Y., "and discuss between yourselves the meaning of one stanza. Write your opinions on a sheet of paper and paste it to the whiteboard. I'm not going to do all the thinking for you." This we did.
Then she walked over to the board and analysed the first stanza. We did the rest.
It was all rather jolly. THe pupils could offer their own opinions and write them down if they differd from what the original teams wrote.
A had an intersting idea: she thought that the child thought the lighthouse was a rocket. After all, rockets are launched. Listen up, Lit. students!
"THe duller the imagination, the faster the car." I interpreted it as "Our imaginations are so dull that we can only make cars faster, instead of inventing environmentally-friendly cars." AS I have said, this blog was strted to encourage literature and improve others' knowledge about it.
To be continued ...

No comments: